Magelica's Voyage (Magelica's Voyage, #1)

Magelica's Voyage (Magelica's Voyage, #1) - Louise Courey Nadeau My thanks to Mother Daughter Book Reviews and Louise Courey Nadeau for my free copy of Magelica’s Voyage in exchange for a fair and honest review

Transported, is the word that comes to mind after reading this book. Magelica is a small girl who hatched from a sapphire egg and like most kids, even those who aren’t so obviously special, she just wants to know who she is and where she came from.

One night she is given the chance to learn a little more about herself when she is called on to help a magical city. She doesn’t know what she can do when others who seem more qualified have failed, but she is willing to try. The only direction she receives is to be herself. This is wonderful lesson for children to learn at a young age. Pressure to conform and follow the crowd begins very young these days. This is not necessarily a bad thing. Often, though, it can keep the individual from having the confidence to shine on their own strengths. Magelica provides a wonderful conversation starter on the importance of being who you are and believing in yourself.

That is simply one of the wonderful lessons threaded through this story. Magelica may be an orphan, but Gri her caretaker along with her best friend, and pet dragon, Tris show her that family is not always who you are born to, they are the ones who love you. Also, at one point in the story Magelica is asked to do something that she has been trying to accomplish for sometime. She imagines herself doing it and it happens for her. I love this. So often our first instinct is to say “I can’t” to something hard or unknown. Children have an amazing capacity to do something simply because they don’t know it can’t be done and encouraging them to tap into that power will give them a step up as they grow up and find more and more often that there are things that seem impossible.

The final page of the story is a conversation between the author and the children who will read this book. I believe it is a terrific way to enforce the lessons they can take away from it. This is a fun fantasy story that any child would delighted to read.

I recommend this book to children age 5 and up. Younger children will enjoy having it read to them. The enchanting illustrations will keep children (and adults) of all ages thoroughly engaged.