The Last Night on Earth

The Last Night on Earth - Victor A. Davis Fantastically written, this was an interesting read. It sucked me in right from the start dropping me into a futuristic war fueled by the devolution of the US into regional sovereign states. It centers around the unhappy marriage of David and Kara, both of whom have different ways of dealing with the death and destruction. In a very short time the reader is brought up to speed on the personal histories of the characters and on the state of a world in which death is so commonplace that auto generated obituaries are place on the deceased person’s voicemail.

While entirely compelling and vivid, as a short story this does not work for me. So few pages were not enough space to tell the tale. The whole thing felt more like the prologue to a much larger story that really wanted telling. There were too many veiled foreshadows and too many unanswered questions for it to be wholly satisfying. The ending which should have been poignant and driven, fell flat because as reader I just begun to become emotionally invested in the characters, then it was over. I can totally believe, as stated in the summary, that it was inspired by dreams.

Mr. Davis is a terrific writer, there just wasn’t enough here for me.

I received a copy of this story in exchange for a fair and honest review