Hugs & Kisses in a Bottle: The Best Christmas Gift Ever! (Alexa's Crafts Reflect Life Experiences Book 1) - Mary Krauel This short story is about Alexa. She isn’t looking forward to the holidays because her parents have recently separated and she and her brother will be spending part of it with only one of them at a time. She is also worried about her parent’s finances and their ability to help her get gifts for her family as they have done in the past. After talking with her mom about her worries, she stumbles on a craft idea idea that shows true Christmas spirit.

This is a cute way to deal with a real issue for so many families facing separation or hardship during the holidays. The author mentions divorce specifically, however in her forward points out that her inspiration was actually an overnight business trip. In my own family, my husband is an long haul truck driver and this craft would have been terrific for those holidays spent apart from him. When my son was young I was always looking for little crafts to make Daddy’s truck more Christmassy and would convey that we were with him during the holidays despite the thousands of miles between us. Also, it goes without saying that this would be great for families with a member on military deployment. This is a fabulous way to show that Christmas giving comes from the heart and not the wallet.

This is a terrific holiday story for kids ages 5-12 and a great resource for kids facing separation from family members during the holidays, facing financial hardship or just in want of fun recycled Christmas craft.