The City of Wizards

The City of Wizards - George Mazurek The City of Wizards is a story of wizards and humans of the city of AveRot’h. It is about a young farmer named Syrdan who has come to the city to watch his foster brother compete in a wizard tournament. While there he meets a young woman who opens his eyes to what is really happening in the city and helps him unravel the mystery of his parentage, giving him a chance to claim his destiny.

I enjoyed getting to know the world of AveRot’h. The complex relationships throughout the tale were a challenge to keep up with. The mounting division between wizards and human was matched only by the internal politicking of the wizard factions. The tournament provided an appropriate background to the real battles taking place in the dark places and high towers of the city.

I do think that perhaps some things moved a bit fast. The love story might have benefitted from at least a few more days of heating up and Syrdan coming into his own was not surprising except that one day he was a human farmer and the next he the wizard nemesis of dark wizards that all powerful wizards and humans feared and was quite capable without any training at all. All in all, I will definitely look forward to the sequels to see where Syr’Dan’s adventures take him.